Model: LTS - $48
If you already have a 1/2" NPT coupling welded into your kettle (or plan to), this sight glass kit will give you a sight glass and a easy to read 3" dial thermometer in a single thread-in package.
- 19" Polycarbonate Tubing rated to 250F threaded into a stainless bushing (model SB kit). The tubing will exend approximately 20.5" above the centerpoint of your welded in coupling). If you need a longer length for larger vessels, you can specify a 24" tube on the custom page or contact up for longer lengths.
- 1/2" NPT SS Tee
- 1/2" close nipple (goes between the tee and your welded in coupling)
- 3" Dial Face Thermometer,
6" probe length, 20-240F (Celcius marks as well), 1% of range accuracy. RECALIBRATION SCREW ON BACK..
- Black Vinyl Numbers for each gallon mark from 2 to 15.(5-50 liter also available, see below)
- 1/4" x 4" SS eyebolt (for securing the top)
- This kit requires that you already have a 1/2" coupling installed in the lower sidewall of your vessel (or want to have one welded in) presenting 1/2" NPT Female threads externally.If you don't already have one to weld in, you can buy one here. An alternative to welding in a coupling is to silver solder a 1/2" welding spud though we don't specifically provide support for how to do this.
- Put a few turns of teflon tape on the threads of the close nipple before threading the tee assembly in to your coupling.
- After the tee is installed with the side port facing up, thread in the bushing/sight tube and thermometer putting a few turns of teflon tape on each.
- Secure the tubing upright at the top of your pot by installing a stainless eyebolt.
- The standard calibration numbers included with this kit is 2-15 gallons. If you have a slightly larger vessel than 15 gallons, you can also add an extension strip that will add numbers 16-25 as well as 24 smaller arrows for 1/2 gallon increments below. If you would like to substitute 5-60 numbers for Litres, you must select "substitute 5-60 litres" in the dropdown below and click the "add to cart" button separately.
- Note, You can also get this kit without the thermometer elsewhere on this site. Look for model "LTSNT".
PLEASE BE AWARE that polycarbonate tubing is sensitive to long exposure times some cleaning chemicals. Read more about it HERE prior to purchasing.
THERMOMETER WARNING! These dial thermometers have an internal seal to keep moisture out of the body. If they are exposed to exterior temperatures over 248F, the seal may fail and the thermometer will develop condensation on the inside of the glass face. It is extremely rare for this condition to occur due to a factory defect and although the manufacturer has a 5 year warranty on these thermometers, condensation reports will likely be attributed to an overheating situation. We have seen many users that have flames that wrap around the side of their kettles due to running the burners too aggressively and if this applies to you, get yourself a HEAT SHIELD to protect the thermometer (see below). If you use a very aggressive burner, you may want to consider mounting the thermometer as a standalone unit a bit higher up the side of the kettle.
It is also highly recommended that you add at least one 20" long, 1/4" diameter nylon brush to your order for occassional cleaning of the interior of the entire sight tube (use with water or your favorite kettle cleaning detergent). $3.25
Please note that sight glass installs, into boil kettles especially, can benefit from use of a heat shield to keep the fittings and tubing from getting overheated. Overheating can lead to wort spurting out of the top of the tube or worse yet, and entire melt down. Some kettle and burner combinations can get by without a shield, but it is relatively inexpensive insurance to add one right from the start rather than incurring an additional shipping charge when you find out that you need one later. If you email us asking why your sight glass is bubbling or spitting, our recommendation will always be to make or buy a heatshield.Please click on the picture to get to the detailed page describing the optional sizes and add to cart button.
If you have a pot that is shorter than 23" tall, you may want to pick up this cheap tubing cutter ($4) if you don't already have one. It makes a nice straight cut that only requires a little sand paper cleanup. This small and affordable tubing cutter is perfect for trimming the top off any of our sight glass tubes that may extend over your pot/keg. Cutting your sight glass flush with the top of your vessel will protect it from getting snagged.