Model: LK or LP - $27
This is the flagship product for Brewhardware.com featuring a design that just hasn't been done before. This sight glass or level indicating accessory takes the guess work out of determining how much liquid is in any of your hot side brewing vessels. It is most commonly installed in hot liquor tanks to measure strike and sparge water volumes, but is also very useful in boil kettles to measure pre and post boil volumes. While weldless systems have gotten a bad rep amongst homebrewers, this design is different. When installed per instructions, the unit is 100% guarenteed not to leak the first time and any time you reinstall it (no leak reports in at least 5000 units sold). Available for either converted SANKE kegs (LK) or Straight Sided Pots (LP).
- 19" Polycarbonate Tubing rated to 250F. If you have a vessel taller than 20", you can specifiy a 24" length here. If you have special nees for much larger vessels, contact us for a quote.
- Stainless Hardware
- High Temp. Silicone Gasket
- Stainless eye bolt for securing the tube to the top of your pot.
- Black Vinyl Numbers for each gallon mark from 2 to 15. (5-50 liter also available, see below)
- Drill a clean 9/16" diameter hole in the side of your HLT or boil kettle and install liquid connection hand tight, or just snug with a wrench. The weldless system is 100% leak free the first time with no teflon tape or messing around. Note, you can also drill to 1/2" and slightly file the hole just a tiny bit larger than 1/2" if you want a more snug fit. Either way, it will install fine with a 9/16" hole as well.
- Don't forget to grab a Step Bit if ou don't already have one.
- Drill a 1/4" hole in the top/side of your vessel and install eyebolt to hold the sight tube vertical.
- These will NOT work in kegs that have a bulge in the sidewall, e.g. Hoff Stevens kegs.
- You must specify if your vessel is straight sided or a converted keg. The tubing meant for a keg is threaded at a slight angle so that it remains vertical when installed into the curved bottom edge.
- The standard calibration numbers included with this kit is 2-15 gallons. If you have a slightly larger vessel than 15 gallons, you can also add an extension strip that will add numbers 16-25 as well as 24 smaller arrows for 1/2 gallon increments below. If you would like to substitute 5-60 numbers for Litres, you must select "substitute 5-60 litres" in the dropdown below and click the "add to cart" button separately.
Note: Converted kegs hold just over 15 gallons so the 16-25 add on strips are not necessary in that case.
PLEASE BE AWARE that polycarbonate tubing is sensitive to long exposure times some cleaning chemicals. Read more about it HERE prior to purchasing.
It is also highly recommended that you add at least one 20" long, 1/4" diameter nylon brush to your order for occassional cleaning of the interior of the entire sight tube (use with water or your favorite kettle cleaning detergent). $3.25
Please note that sight glass installs, into boil kettles especially, can benefit from use of a heat shield to keep the fittings and tubing from getting overheated. Overheating can lead to wort spurting out of the top of the tube or worse yet, and entire melt down. Some kettle and burner combinations can get by without a shield, but it is relatively inexpensive insurance to add one right from the start rather than incurring an additional shipping charge when you find out that you need one later. If you email us asking why your sight glass is bubbling or spitting, our recommendation will always be to make or buy a heatshield.Please click on the picture to get to the detailed page describing the optional sizes and add to cart button.
If you have a pot that is shorter than 20" tall, you may want to pick up this cheap tubing cutter ($4) if you don't already have one. It makes a nice straight cut that only requires a little sand paper cleanup. This small and affordable tubing cutter is perfect for trimming the top off any of our sight glass tubes that may extend over your pot/keg. Cutting your sight glass flush with the top of your vessel will protect it from getting snagged.