Model: TKNT / TPNT - $27
Offered by several requests, this kit is exactly the same as the weldless compact sight/thermo combo except it does NOT include the thermometer. The practical application for this kit is if you want to install an RTD or thermocouple for electric brewing vessels or a digital thermometer for more precise monitoring.
- 19" Polycarbonate Tubing rated to 250F (email us if you need a longer tube )
- SS Tee and Mounting Hardware
- High Temp. Silicone Gasket
- Stainless eye bolt for securing the tube to the top of your pot.
- Black Vinyl Numbers for each gallon mark from 2 to 15 (I have other number ranges for longer custom sights)
- Drill a clean 9/16" diameter hole in the side of your HLT or boil kettle and install liquid connection hand tight, or just snug with a wrench. The weldless system is 100% leak free the first time with no teflon tape or messing around.
- Drill a 1/4" hole in the top/side of your vessel and install eyebolt to hold the sight tube vertical.
- Don't forget to grab a Step Bit if you don't already have one.
- These will NOT work on kegs with the bulge in the sidewall, e.g. Hoff Stevens kegs. However, I can make a custom kit for these types of kegs. Please email me.
- If you use your own thermometer, a 4" or longer probe is recommended. IMPORTANT: The female threads on the tee are 1/4" NPT so you cannot use a thermometer with 1/2" threads.
- If you want to use a thermocouple, something like Auberins liquid tight unit should work well.
- If you would like to install and hand held (CDN DTQ450 for example) or remote digital thermometer probe (CDN DTTC for example), you can purchase the 1/4" NPT to narrow probe compression unit that simply threads in to the open end of this tee kit.
Select the configuration. The basic kit is described above. The other option is designed for a hoff stephens or Coors "bulge sided keg". It is more expensive due to the additonal parts needed.
- You can also add a 1/4" stainless plug (see picture right) in order to use this as a simple sight glass until you sort out your thermoprobe situation. You can find the 1/4" NPT plug as a separate item on the SS Fittings page.
- You must specify if your vessel is straight sided or a converted keg. The tubing meant for a keg is threaded at a slight angle so that it remains vertical when installed into the curved bottom edge.
- The standard calibration numbers included with this kit is 2-15 gallons. If you have a slightly larger vessel than 15 gallons, you can also add an extension strip that will add numbers 16-25 as well as 24 smaller arrows for 1/2 gallon increments or if you would like to substitute 5-60 numbers for Litres, you must select them and add to cart below.
PLEASE BE AWARE that polycarbonate tubing is sensitive to long exposure times some cleaning chemicals. Read more about it HERE prior to purchasing.
It is also highly recommended that you add at least one 20" long, 1/4" diameter nylon brush to your order for occassional cleaning of the interior of the entire sight tube (use with water or your favorite kettle cleaning detergent). $3.25
Please note that sight glass installs, into boil kettles especially, can benefit from use of a heat shield to keep the fittings and tubing from getting overheated. Overheating can lead to wort spurting out of the top of the tube or worse yet, and entire melt down. Some kettle and burner combinations can get by without a shield, but it is relatively inexpensive insurance to add one right from the start rather than incurring an additional shipping charge when you find out that you need one later. If you email us asking why your sight glass is bubbling or spitting, our recommendation will always be to make or buy a heatshield.Please click on the picture to get to the detailed page describing the optional sizes and add to cart button.
If you have a pot that is shorter than 20" tall, you may want to pick up this cheap tubing cutter ($4) if you don't already have one. It makes a nice straight cut that only requires a little sand paper cleanup. This small and affordable tubing cutter is perfect for trimming the top off any of our sight glass tubes that may extend over your pot/keg. Cutting your sight glass flush with the top of your vessel will protect it from getting snagged.